Just because I know you guys look forward to Wednesday so much!
Shoutout to blood mages because if i stabbed myself i would cry and lay there until i died
Okay. I’ve toyed with this idea from time to time over the last few months - like I said earlier, big bangs are one of my favorite parts of fandom! And I’ve wanted a Dragon Age big bang SO MUCH. And today, thanks to the Mass Effect big bang (which I signed up to mix for, BTW, whee!), there seems to be a tiny bit of interest? So I thought I’d start polling the masses.
(This is the point at which it would be helpful to be on LJ, where I could make a nifty poll with radio buttons and everything. Some things, Tumblr just can’t do. Sigh.)
Anyway. Questions below! Reblog with your answers - or send an ask, but the more you pass this around your dashboard, the wider an audience I can poll! I’m not going to do anything with it this week, since I’ll be gone for several days, but if there’s some kind of interest after I’m home, I may actually think about doing this. We’ll see!
To start: a big bang is a fannish challenge in which authors sign up to write long fics. (Length varies from fandom to fandom. Some require 20K, some require 10K, the ME BB seems to require 8K … et cetera. But I’d say 8K is the very minimum I would consider a true “big bang” story.) Authors spend several months writing their fics; everyone who turns in a rough draft by the appointed deadline will have their story put up for claming by fan artists/fan mixers, who choose a story that looks good to them and make art/a fanmix based on the author’s story. Then, the moderators create a schedule - so that the fandom doesn’t have a million giant stories just dumped on them at once, and each author/artist gets a fair chance to have their work appreciated! - and the stories and art/mixes are all posted together for the fandom to enjoy. Often this means several weeks of new stories and art/mixes, hundreds of thousands of words of shiny new fic to read!
Okay, the questions:
1) Would you be at all interested in participating in a Dragon Age Big Bang?
2) If yes, would you be an author, an artist/mixer, or both?
3) What kind of story length do you think would be reasonable?
4) What kind of timeline would appeal to you - would you like sign-ups to start soon-ish, with posting dates sometime this fall? Or would you rather wait a couple of months, do sign-ups this fall, and post stories over the winter?
5) Would you be willing to help organize something like this?
6) This sort of challenge really only works properly on LJ/DW - which is not to say stories and art can’t be posted on the site of your choice, but organizationally, participants would need to have an LJ account of some sort. Would that affect your participation?
Give me your questions, comments, ideas - I’m just spitballing here, I figure I’ll reblog this a few times over the next week or so, see how much response I get, and we’ll go from there. These things are really complicated to put together, so I only want to commit to it if it seems like enough other people want to play!
Love the idea and would want to participate, but as I mentioned in that other reblog I don’t trust myself to have enough time before and around NaNo. Also, I don’t have an LJ anymore; I could always set another up if I really needed, but I wouldn’t be using it for anything but this if I did. Also, my brain isn’t working right now: What’s DW? I probably know and my head’s just being stupid, but it’s not clicking at the moment.